Monday, January 3, 2011

1/3/11, 10:30 a.m. - Effective Classroom Management, and Student "A", the Desk-Crawler

This blog shares examples of, and plans for, productive classroom management, from the perspective of an Instructional Cognitive Coach (SM). "Productive" as in supporting independent learning motivated by inspiration, achievement, and challenge. The kind of management that motivates students to want to learn. The coaching strategy is this: Identify the desired outcome, and then choose congruent behaviors to elicit it.

For example, for my 1st graders' math class, I'd like to be available to all students as they need help during learning time. Trouble is, when every one's engaged in the same activity simultaneously, chances are good that lots of students could need help at the same time. To that end I've created math "centers", areas with different math tasks involving writing, building, drawing, throwing dice, etc.

At the beginning of each class we take a gallery walk of the centers, students review the learning tasks at each, and then they set off to work independently. While they work, I'm available to circulate, and help as needed. Also, keeping many of the centers routine, only rotating in a few new activities a week, helps maximize my availability to students needing support. Other teachers have described the learning environment as "Zen", and I agree. I'm calm, collected, and able to help at all times. Students work independently most of the time. It's utterly delightful, and every bit the desired outcome I had in mind. Hopefully a fine example of some great classroom management.

As for a plan, this is what's happening with one of my favorite people, student "A". The desired outcome for student "A" is his feeling like a successful learner: trust that I'll be there when he needs me, responsibility for his own learning, fair-minded classroom participation, and academic achievement. He'll be starting in my classroom tomorrow.

In the past, "A" has required constant teacher supervision; he's continually sought attention (his desired outcome), whether by sharing crayons, crawling on desks, or randomly singing loudly during quiet learning time (all highly-successful behaviors congruent with getting the attention he craves). So: How to get him learning instead of sabotaging? If it's attention he wants, I'll use it behaviorally to attain the outcome we all want for him.

He wants continual and captivated attention of teachers and peers alike, and I think he also craves academic success. Most learners do, whether or not they show it. My strategic behavior? He and I will be learning partners for the entirety of his first day in my class. His task? Reporting to me as we tour our math learning centers, the task at each stop, and its learning objective. This will create a strong memory for him of me as his constant companion, and a shared set of explicit, appropriate expectations. The desired outcome? Trust for both of us. He'll trust me to be there, and I'll know he understands what to do.

Secondly, he will want to join his friends - another of his desired outcomes. My strategy? Offer participation, conditionally, the second day (and thereafter). He'll have his chance to build both social and academic success, after reporting accurately to me appropriate behavior for the learning activity of a center of my choosing. That is my condition for his inclusion. Rejoining me, resuming his reporting duties, will be my leverage anytime he needs redirecting. Wanting to work with his peers (his ultimate desire) will motivate him to engage appropriately (a congruent and winning behavior) in learning.

Academic success will result from engaged learning, the ultimate desired outcome. He'll trust me, his teacher, work with his friends, and continue to build academic capacity. This success will build upon itself. It's a best-case scenario backed by research and results-based planning.

I'll let you know how it goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment